*Frank Padilla's response at the bottom.
I initially saw the questions posed to Frank in one of the comments in this blog. It appears someone made sure FP saw it and he responded to each question. It gets quite long because the original commenter responds to FP with his/her comments as well. I'll post the first couple of pages here now (there are 10 pages in all), but I'll give you all a link to the whole document. We will then get more into it later.
Download the entire document HERE.
From: mzhermanoI will first post Pfizer's official response to this, to help THEM clear the air.
Subject: Fwd: pharmas and contraceptivesNOTE to N Central ldrs: pls disseminate in your areas as well.Hello brethren,
Someone asked us to really have proof that GK have partners that have anti-life products or practices before we can claim that such a thing is happening. So far here's bro. Frank's response on the question - 'does GK have partners that sell anti-life products?'
There probably are more partners of GK who are engaged in anti-life products or practices other than these 2 drug companies (and we will give you an update as we find out more) but even with just this 2 partners, it is obvious GK and the IC is already going against the Church's teachings in a big way, plus they are misleading people when they say either that they don't have anti-life partners, or that they are now heeding the bishops strong recommendations to correct their veering away from the CFC orig charism and Church's teachings.
And that's the very thing the bishops have been finding out -i.e., that the IC has been making official pronouncements regarding their situation and relationship with the bishops, and on several occassions, the bishop officially responded that what they were saying was either totally false, or half-truths, or an incomplete description and therefore misleading. That's why Frank, and those who have aligned with CFC-FFL are calling for a restoration to the original charism of CFC - untainted by the secularism that has penetrated GK because of the all-out effort to achieve GK777.
Thanks/ God bless
Manny--Forwarded Message Attachment--
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:22:52 +0800
Subject: pharmas and contraceptives
Hello brethren. Contrary to what Joe Tale and the IC claim regarding GK partner Pfizer, Pfizer is indeed selling Depo-Provera. Yesterday we bought it from Mercury Drug-Pasig. Medroxy-Progesterone Acetate or Depo-Provera. Another GK partner, Wyeth, also sells an oral contraceptive, Norgestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol or Femenal. We bought one too. Anyone can easily check this with Mercury Drug. The IC has been peddling an outright lie. God bless.
"For to me life is Christ, and death is gain." (Phil 1:21)
Depo Provera not on Pfizer’s list
In his Sept. 5 column “Evangelical Catholics,” Michael Tan cited Pfizer as the producer of the injectable contraceptive, Depo Provera. We would like to clarify that Pfizer does not manufacture or sell this product. Pfizer deleted Depo Provera from its roster of medicines when it acquired Pharmacia in 2003, the original manufacturer of Depo Provera.
We also wish to inform Tan that Pfizer’s support for Gawad Kalinga (GK) is through Gawad Kalusugan, a GK and Pfizer Foundation (PPFI) community health program that empowers GK residents to be capable health-care workers in their own community.
MILLETTE ASUNCION-ARNEDO, public affairs and legal director, Pfizer Inc., 23/F Ayala Life-FGU Center, 6811 Ayala Avenue, Makati City
Copyright INQUIRER.net. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
And now what gives me a little joy...
Here is Marthe '57's email in full:
My dear CD,
I went online to check out the details of Bro Frank’s email, he mentioned 2 companies. I only got as far as 1 company and I think I have to take a breather before I can check out the second one. Here is what I found about the first company mentioned.
WYETH- check out- http://www.wyeth.com/products and - http://www.wyeth.ca/en/products/
2) Lo_Ovral® Tablets (0.3 mg norgestrel and 0.03 mg ethinyl estradiol tablets
3) Norplant® System (levonorgestrel implants)
4) Triphasil® (levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol tablets — triphasic regimen) 21- and 28-day regimens
5) Lybrel™ (90 mcg levonorgestrel and 20 mcg ethinyl estradiol) Tablet
1) Caltrate- for osteoporosis and Bone health
2) Centrum® Brands- Nutrition & Vitamins
3) ChapStick®- Oral Health
4) Dimetapp®- Allergies , Cold and Flu
5) Advil® Brands- Aches and Pains
6) Robitussin® Brands Cold and Flu
1) Enbrel® (etanercept) for subcutaneous injection http://www.enbrel.com/
- Inhibiting the progression of structural damage, and improving physical function in patients with moderately to severely active rheumatoid arthritis.
-ENBREL is indicated for reducing signs and symptoms in patients with active ankylosing spondylitis.
- ENBREL is indicated for the treatment of adult patients (18 years or older) with chronic moderate to severe plaque psoriasis who are candidates for systemic therapy or phototherapy.
2) Alavert- allergies http://www.alavert.com/
3) Anbesol- oral health http://www.anbesol.com/
4) TYGACIL- a first class antibiotic http://www.tygacil.com/
5) FiberCon- Constipation; Irritable bowel syndrome https://www.fibercon.com/index.asp
6) Minocin- (minocycline hydrochloride) Infectious disease http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minocycline
7) Preparation H- Hemorrhoids; Anal Itch
8) ReFacto Antihemophilic Factor (Recombinant) http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/refacto.htm
9) LeptoVax™ 4- http://www.wyethah.ca/article.asp?pageid=prlepto4_0505
Here are people like me who find that list significant:
Next list is for women like me who are in the menopausal stage, these we consider friends:
1) Premarin® (conjugated estrogens) Vaginal Cream
2) Premarin® (conjugated estrogens tablets, USP)
3) Premarin® Intravenous (conjugated estrogens, USP for injection)
4) PREMPHASE® (conjugated estrogens_medroxyprogesterone acetate tablets)
5) PREMPRO® (conjugated estrogens_medroxyprogesterone acetate tablets)
Next list is significant to a few you might say:
1) Those with Glaucoma- Phospholine Iodide- http://www.drugs.com/cons/phospholine-iodide-ophthalmic.html
2) After surgery they give you- Phenergan (promethazine HCL)- http://www.drugs.com/phenergan.html
3) For Tuberculosis- Trecator (ethionamide tablets) - http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/trecator.htm
4) Leukemia- Mylotarq (gemtuzumab ozogamicin)- http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/1d27c6.htm
5) For a patient undergoing chemotherapy- Neumega (oprelvekin) http://www.medicinenet.com/oprelvekin-injection/article.htm
6) Kidney Transplant patients- Rapamune(sirolimus) http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/druginfo/rapamune.HTM
7) Renal Cell Carcinoma- Torisel (temsirolimus)- http://www.wyeth.com/hcp/torisel
8) If you are bitten by (rattle snake)- Antivenin (Crotalidae) Polyvalent-http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/anticrotal.htm
9) Or bitten by the famous North American Coral Snake- Antivenin (Micrurus Fulvius) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR600157
My final list is short but very dear to me; let me start with a backgrounder…
1) HibTITER® Haemophilus b Conjugate Vaccine (Diphtheria CRM197 Protein Conjugate) http://www.drugs.com/ppa/haemophilus-b-conjugate-vaccine.html
2) Altace (Ramipril) http://www.drugs.com/altace.html
1) Does it mean that I, being a member of CFC should also not partner with Wyeth?
2) Therefore, I should also refrain from buying/taking/using products that are manufactured by Wyeth?
3) What about a sister in the community who has cancer, does it mean that she will have to find a drug company that does not produce contraceptives and only use those products?
4) Should my husband refrain from taking Robitussin when he has a cough?
5) What about Sis Lily, she has glaucoma?
6) As members of CFC, does it also follow that we should not accept donations nor distribute/dispense Wyeth products when we conduct Medical Missions?
7) What about the many children in the GK sites who are suffering from Tuberculosis? Are we to refuse TB medicines donated by Wyeth?
8) Can I also include my dogs in this category?
9) What about my son?
10) And what about you Bro Frank? Are the medicines that you and your family take, made from companies that do not manufacture contraceptives? Take note, Gerry must never take Caltrate! While we’re at it, be sure Xavy and Des do not give Dimetapp to their little one, at all.
What do we call all this things happening around us? Isn’t this a witch hunt?
1) Is it about issues of faith and morals? Is it about CFC being Catholic?
2) Is it about Pro Life and Anti Life? Is it about Wyeth and Pfizer and GK?
3) Is it about Pfizer because Gerry Bacarro works with that company?
4) Or is it about Gerry Bacarro, working closely with TM, being a GK advocate?
Why should I be made to choose whether I should take Advil or something else when my head aches. Hey, come on. Come to think of it what does it have to do with Bro Frank? It is tough facing life as it is, must we really contend with all this? I’m not upset anymore, but I will still take that Advil, because I have one more question to ask…
BY THE WAY FRANK ARE YOU REALLY MY BROTHER?
Now, if we were to take Frank's line of reasoning a bit further and attempt to use the "birth control/contraceptive" issue as a Christian reason to avoid doing business with certain entities (This was also covered in this comment.):
Lets take a look at HOUSE BILL 4110 (Reproductive Health Bill) which
2) Broad Reproductive Health Care. The provision of broad reproductive health care needs, including
a. Family planning counseling, information and education regardless of marital status and age;
b. The full range of family planning methods both natural family planning and modern contraceptive methods (e.g., condoms, vaginal barrier methods, oral contraceptives, implants, intrauterine devices, male and female voluntary sterilization, and emergency contraception (EC).
Well, one of the bill's co-authors during the 12th Congress is Gerry Padilla associate, Cynthia Villar of Manuela Corp., the company that owns Star Malls. Being one of the authors of this bill signifies an active support for it and what it stands for.
During the 13th Congress, this particular bill went through several modifications and identities, and is now known as HB3773 (Responsible Parenthood and Population Management Act of 2005) also known as the "mother anti-life Bill of 2005", which is a consolidation of 4 related bills that was approved by the Commitee on Women. (Cynthia Villar as a member was one of those who signed and approved)
Apartelle 12, Star Mall, Edsa corner Shaw Blvd.
Mandaluyong City 1550, Philippines
There is a 9-letter word that describes this kind of behavior. It starts with "H" and ends with "E".
It gets better.
Now who here knows that Senator Manny Villar and Cynthia Villar are members of CfC, and are now with the FFL?
Yup, you read that right.
Just got this in my inbox. To be fair lets show Frank's response to the questions we raised. In the exchange below, Rene Rieta asks for a bit of clarity on how the FFL stands on dealing with anti-life companies.
At 10:01 PM 9/29/2007, rene rieta wrote:
For men with Godly wisdom, does this mean that we have to boycott all the products of pfizer & even mercury drug stores because they sell this anti-life products? Does this mean we have to ask all our brothers & sisters in CFC, families, relatives & friends who work in all companies who conspires in manufacturing, selling & distributing anti-life products? Does it includes the office of POPCOM & U.N. which we all know have anti-life programs?
Please help us enlighten with your statements...thanks- rene rieta
From: Frank Padilla
Subject: Re: PRO-LIFE MINISTRY / GK777
That is a very ridiculous conclusion coming from an elder. That is part of the defense mechanism put forth by CFC-GK. What is relevant is that a Catholic community that supposedly proclaims Christ and is pro-life should not partner with pharmaceuticals that produce or distribute contraceptives. It has to do with CFC being an evangelistic community, proclaiming what is right and true and just in the Lord. If GK detaches from CFC and becomes a social agency, then go ahead and partner with such pharmas. God bless.
It's funny how he hasn't addressed any of the issues raised and still manages to attack CfC.
Question: Isn't the FFL an evangelistic community now as well? I still don't know why their headquarters are at Star Mall, and what Frank takes for his (presumably) frequent headaches.
Maybe another round of Lamentations and clarifications will get me closer to the truth. But then again...
This just keeps getting better.
Nonong Contreras' reply:
"Oscar L. Contreras, Jr." < >
To: "rene rieta"
Subject: Re: PRO-LIFE MINISTRY / GK777
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:50:24 -0700
For men gifted by God with mortal wisdom, the rash generalization is a non-sequitur. The issue is the GK partnership. All GK has to do is rescind the partnership, unless it simply wants to be an NGO without CFC. I hope the point is clear, Bro. God bless.
"For men gifted by God with mortal wisdom"
The implication being, those who get it, have IMmortal wisdom...much like prophets.
(If I was being sensitive, I'd actually think that Nonong was throwing a zinger at Rene and telling him that his logic was well....sadly short of their standards, but I'm thick skinned so I'll let that pass)
I guess this "mortal wisdom" applies to all the Christian orgs who support GK as well.
Well, At least we know how they see themselves.
It really explains a lot. But not why men of such immortal wisdom will put their headquarters in the building of anti-life supporters.
I'll wait for the next email for better clarity, but at the rate they're going, I think they'd have to make their responses more consistent, lest they appear to have immortal wisdom but really bad coordination.